XcluziveSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Sports All the Time at XcluziveSports

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Contenders or Pretenders?

Go down 
+7
DraftGuru45
fatphil101
patzfan363839
rip_city
kd93
josh3302
deadlydolphinz
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
deadlydolphinz
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
deadlydolphinz

Contenders or Pretenders? Empty
PostSubject: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 12:33 pm

Lets play a little game of Contenders or Pretenders

This is how it Works:

I'll start off by naming a team and the first person to reply has to say whether that team is a contender or a pretender and why. After your done answering the question for my team you have to than say another team for the next person.

Enjoy!!

New Orleans Saints
Back to top Go down
josh3302

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Pretender: They have the same team except for Jonathon Vilma. I feel their draft did not address any needs. 1 player will not change the team.

STL Rams
Back to top Go down
kd93

kd93

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 3:16 pm

josh3302 wrote:
STL Rams
pretender

new york jets?
Back to top Go down
josh3302

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 3:25 pm

kd93 wrote:
josh3302 wrote:
STL Rams
pretender

new york jets?

You need an explanation
Back to top Go down
kd93

kd93

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 4:27 pm

josh3302 wrote:
kd93 wrote:
josh3302 wrote:
STL Rams
pretender

new york jets?

You need an explanation
pretender because even though they have some key players back healthy they are still an old team who have good chances of get hurt again.
Back to top Go down
deadlydolphinz
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
deadlydolphinz

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 12:03 am

kd93 wrote:
josh3302 wrote:
STL Rams
pretender

new york jets?

Pretender!!!

Yes they added alot of "big" UFA's but giving veterans their last big pay day usual isn't a good thing.

But the bottom line is until they figure out their QB woes they will not be able to crack the play-offs.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Back to top Go down
rip_city
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 1:22 am

deadlydolphinz wrote:
kd93 wrote:
josh3302 wrote:
STL Rams
pretender

new york jets?

Pretender!!!

Yes they added alot of "big" UFA's but giving veterans their last big pay day usual isn't a good thing.

But the bottom line is until they figure out their QB woes they will not be able to crack the play-offs.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Pretenders

I dont just dont like TB that much. With Caddy's health being a concern and thier QB situation IMO not great they just wont put up enought points. And they dont have great WR's if i remember correct. Also thier D is just getting older and how much longer can they carry the team.

Detroit Lions
Back to top Go down
patzfan363839

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 6:56 am

rip_city wrote:
deadlydolphinz wrote:
kd93 wrote:
josh3302 wrote:
STL Rams
pretender

new york jets?

Pretender!!!

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Pretenders

I dont just dont like TB that much. With Caddy's health being a concern and thier QB situation IMO not great they just wont put up enought points. And they dont have great WR's if i remember correct. Also thier D is just getting older and how much longer can they carry the team.

Detroit Lions

Ready for this? CONTENDER!
With Favre gone that division has got a whole lot weaker. Kitna will take advantage of having 2 of the best young recievers in the NFL and i expect Calvin Johnson to explode onto the scene in year 2.. With Kevin Jones gone and a new offensive coordinator the running game will be a big strength with Tatum Bell and Kevin Smith who I think will have a chance for 1,000 yards.. Defense is my only concern but playing in a division where the three other teams have questions at the QB position, you have to give the Lions and edge...

Buffalo Bills
Back to top Go down
fatphil101

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 6:09 pm

Pretender - They have a very nice, young core to start building around, but I don't know if Edwards is quite ready to lead them & I question how healthy their LBs can stay healthy. Also, they lack a real impact DE. When Aaron Schobel has no one across from him, he is useless. Marcus Stroud will help, but there is a reason that the Jaguars traded him for only 3rd & 5th Round picks. Plus, they are in a division with the Patriots & a very, very good conference. I'll give them another year or two to make the necessary adjustments to be a real contender.

Pretender or Contender?
Philadelphia Eagles
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jete1
deadlydolphinz
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
deadlydolphinz

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 pm

Pretender

The Eagles have the great advantage of being in the NFC, but they have the biggest dis-advantage of being in the toughest division in the NFL. I feel that the Cowboys and Giants are ahead of the Eagles in terms of coaching and talent and because of that a team that could do very well in other NFC divisions will be looking at around a .500 record.

Denver Broncos
Back to top Go down
fatphil101

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 5:03 pm

Prentender.

They will in no way challenge the Chargers for the AFC West & there are other teams that are better than them that could get the Wild Card spots. I see them just missing out due to a few things:

1. They don't have a proven workhorse at RB. That, along with Marshall's injury, can hurt Cutler's development. I really, really like Cutler, though.

2. Other than Marshall, they pretty much have no other receiving threat. Eddie Royal was never a great WR at Virginia Tech & I believe they drafted him based on his exceptional return skills. Stokley is best suited for the slot & age is starting to catch up to him.

3. They need a huge upgrade at MLB. Niko Koutouvides is unproven & really doesn't look like he should be a starter. They need another leader at LB to help out D.J. Williams.

4. We still don't know how good their DTs are going to be. Their biggest problem was stopping the run last year on defense. They did acquire D-Rob, but is he a true bust or just didn't fit the 3-4? We will find out.

Pretender or Contender?
Cleveland Browns.
Back to top Go down
deadlydolphinz
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
deadlydolphinz

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptySun Jun 08, 2008 11:14 am

Contender.

The Browns have a strong offensive line doubled with a respectable running game and a quick strike passing game.

The Browns defense was a big weakness last season but they have added two very good DT to keep teams from running over them and keeping their offense off the field.

The Ravens are rebuilding and the Bengals are the leagues worst defense. Compare that with the Steelers NOT fixing their problems at the offensive line position and it make the Browns the favorite to win the division.

Pittsburgh Steelers Wink
Back to top Go down
fatphil101

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptySun Jun 08, 2008 12:33 pm

deadlydolphinz wrote:
Contender.

The Browns have a strong offensive line doubled with a respectable running game and a quick strike passing game.

The Browns defense was a big weakness last season but they have added two very good DT to keep teams from running over them and keeping their offense off the field.

The Ravens are rebuilding and the Bengals are the leagues worst defense. Compare that with the Steelers NOT fixing their problems at the offensive line position and it make the Browns the favorite to win the division.

Pittsburgh Steelers Wink

You are going to be proven wrong this year. No, we aren't by any means that good, but we aren't as bad as everyone makes us out to be. I'd even say we have a better defense than your beloved Dolphins, but we can argue that another time.

Contender:

I do see the Browns winning the division, but I see the Steelers grabbing the second Wild Card spot along with second place team in the AFC South.

Yes, the Steelers did not help their offensive line, but they did improve almost every aspect of their already good offense. Their defense will yet again be one of the best in the league & remember that this is one more year that has allowed LaMarr Woodley & Lawrence Timmons to mature as football players. That's going to be scary for opposing offenses.

Pretender or Contender:
Arizona Cardinals
Back to top Go down
deadlydolphinz
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
deadlydolphinz

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 10:24 pm

fatphil101 wrote:
deadlydolphinz wrote:
Contender.

Pittsburgh Steelers Wink

You are going to be proven wrong this year. No, we aren't by any means that good, but we aren't as bad as everyone makes us out to be. I'd even say we have a better defense than your beloved Dolphins, but we can argue that another time.

What kind of debate would that be? Wink

But on a serious note, the Bengals have ALOT to prove on defense. Not only do they get run over like a knife going through butter, but they also get passed on at will, like Dan Marino throwing to (put any great WR here) in a skeleton drill.

No offense, but I don't see any HUGE improvement this season in those areas.

As long as the Dolphins have Jason Taylor (one of the most disruptive defenses forces in the league) the Dolphins, on that one player alone, will make our defense better.

Not to mention: Jason Ferguson, Vonnie Holliday, Will Allen, Channing Crowder, Joey Porter and Akin Ayodele

Just to name a few..........
Back to top Go down
fatphil101

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 6:38 pm

deadlydolphinz wrote:
fatphil101 wrote:
deadlydolphinz wrote:
Contender.

Pittsburgh Steelers Wink

What kind of debate would that be? Wink

But on a serious note, the Bengals have ALOT to prove on defense. Not only do they get run over like a knife going through butter, but they also get passed on at will, like Dan Marino throwing to (put any great WR here) in a skeleton drill.

No offense, but I don't see any HUGE improvement this season in those areas.

As long as the Dolphins have Jason Taylor (one of the most disruptive defenses forces in the league) the Dolphins, on that one player alone, will make our defense better.

Not to mention: Jason Ferguson, Vonnie Holliday, Will Allen, Channing Crowder, Joey Porter and Akin Ayodele

Just to name a few..........

We really did addition by subtraction this year, which like you said means we have a lot to prove. But, we got rid of a two sack Justin Smith for an eight sack Antwan Odom, who has a lot to prove. I'm aware our defense was weak against the run, but that should improve with Pat Sims in the mix. Also, our pass defense is good, it's just we never got any pressure on the QB last year, which gave him at least four or five seconds to make a pass, which made our secondary look bad.

Anyway, don't go off mentioning players. Holliday isn't great. Allen is best suited as a RCB or nickel CB. Crowder actually is underrated. Porter shouldn't be a starter & is all talk these days. Ayodele should be nice starting with Crowder, though. And Ferguson is getting up in the years.

I'm not going to mention any of my players, because you can rip them apart just as good as I can rip any Dolphin.

Back to the game...

Arizona Cardinals.
Back to top Go down
DraftGuru45
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Pretender.

The Cardinals are a solid team on paper, but until they can get Matt Leinart to play like they thought he would, they are not going to be a playoff team. They have the best receiving corps. in the NFL, but Kurt Warner is not going to guide them to the playoffs. Their defense is alright with stars like Adrian Wilson and Karlos Dansby, but they will not make the playoffs unless they get lucky and win the downtrodden NFC West.

San Francisco 49ers
Back to top Go down
http://www.xcluzivesports.com
steelwonder
Staff Writer
Staff Writer
steelwonder

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 6:58 pm

DraftGuru45 wrote:
Pretender.

The Cardinals are a solid team on paper, but until they can get Matt Leinart to play like they thought he would, they are not going to be a playoff team. They have the best receiving corps. in the NFL, but Kurt Warner is not going to guide them to the playoffs. Their defense is alright with stars like Adrian Wilson and Karlos Dansby, but they will not make the playoffs unless they get lucky and win the downtrodden NFC West.

San Francisco 49ers

The Niners have built a solid defense around Patrick Willis, Manny Lawson and others. But offensively they are without a competent player manning the guns under center. Alex Smith (unless Mike Martz suddenly turns him the stud he was projected to be) can be labeled a bust. Frank Gore is a fairly dependable runningback who will have to be counted on to carry the load this year. The division is not strong, but the Niners aren't strong enough to take it. Seattle and a sobered St. Louis Rams will be battling for the title.

Niners are a Pretender.

San Diego Chargers...Contender or Pretender?
Back to top Go down
JoshuaJaxn

PostSubject: Chargers   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 5:42 am

Contenders

With as weak as AFC West is they could easily win 5 of the 6 in their division. And if they win just a few other games then they will home field advantage or atleast a first round bye.

Oakland Raiders?
Back to top Go down
DraftGuru45
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 10:02 am

JoshuaJaxn wrote:
Contenders

With as weak as AFC West is they could easily win 5 of the 6 in their division. And if they win just a few other games then they will home field advantage or atleast a first round bye.

Oakland Raiders?

Pretender.

The Raiders offensive line will be nothing short of terrible this year. It sounds like Kwame Harris will be the starting left tackle. Shocked

JaMarcus Russell could be a solid QB in the NFL, but he doesn't have a lot to work with. Let's face it, Ronald Curry and Javon Walker aren't gonna make to many flamethrowers better.

Darren McFadden could be a difference maker, but I really thought the Raiders should have went a different route when they already had Justin Fargas and LaMont Jordan.

They do, however, have a very solid defense under Rob Ryan.

Houston Texans?
Back to top Go down
PyroDog

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Pretenders, they wont go anywhere with Schaub at their QB.

Miami Dolphins?
Back to top Go down
JoshuaJaxn

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Pretenders...

Unless some kind of miracle happens nothing is going to change from last year they will have the same kind of season this year.

Washington Redskins?
Back to top Go down
SoxNats08

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 1:49 am

Contender, expect them to be in the playoff hunt all year.

Houston Texans.
Back to top Go down
steelwonder
Staff Writer
Staff Writer
steelwonder

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 1:54 am

Contender. Even though they have an extremely tough division, they'll contend for a wildcard spot all season long.

Tennessee Titans
Back to top Go down
DraftGuru45
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 1:09 pm

steelwonder wrote:
Contender. Even though they have an extremely tough division, they'll contend for a wildcard spot all season long.

Tennessee Titans

Pretender.

They should have drafted Limas Sweed, James Hardy, Malcolm Kelly, or DeSean Jackson, instead of wasting a pick on Chris Johnson who is much better in individual workouts then in the game.

Buffalo Bills
Back to top Go down
patzfan363839

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 3:32 pm

Pretender

Wont win division and Wild Card will come from Jax, Tenn, Cleveland/Pitt, Denver

Baltimore Ravens
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Contenders or Pretenders?   Contenders or Pretenders? Empty

Back to top Go down

Contenders or Pretenders?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
XcluziveSports :: NFL :: NFL General-
Jump to: